India is a tourist's delight. The most famous tourist attraction is Taj Mahal. Build in the 17th century in pure Marble, Taj Mahal is the tomb built by the Mughal Emperor Shahjahan for his beloved wife Mumtaz. However India does not end with the Taj. Due to its vast size and varying culture , India is a challenge to any tourist. It is an adventure which leaves everyone well satiated at the end of it. The snow clad mountain peaks of Kashmir and Himachal Pradesh , the forests of Madhya Pradesh, the deserts of Rajasthan, the beaches of Goa, the back waters of Kerala, the hustle and bustle of Bombay to the elegance of New Delhi are all bound to thrill any tourist. You are bound to be amazed by a nation that speaks about 15 languages and 800 dialects,by its richness and its poverty. You will be warmed by the smile on every face , the song on their lips. And as one finishes the tour of this glorious country , the sanguine people and the serene land, where time has often stood still , is sure to fill the memory for a long time. To learn more about India, please visit my India links page,
which contains links to many sites about her. But better still, set out on a voyage of discovery and I am sure you will not be disappointed.
India - Some Known and Unknown Facts :
- India has never invaded any country in her last 10,000 years of history.
- India invented the number system. Zero was invented by Aryabhatta.
- India established the world's first University at Takshasila in 700 B.C.
- Sanskrit is the mother of all European languages. It is the best suited
language for computer software (Forbes magazine, July 1987).
- Ayurveda is the earliest system of medicine known to humans.
- The art of navigation originated in the river Sindh 6000 years ago. Navigation
comes from the Sanskrit word "Nav Gatih".
- Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken by earth to orbit the sun as
365.258756484 days (in 5th century A.D).
- In the 6th century A.D Budhayana calculated the value of pi . Quadratic
equations were propunded by Sridharacharya in the 11th century.
- According to the Gemological Institute of America , upto 1896, India was the
only source for diamonds.
- IEEE has proved an age old suspicion that the pioneer of wireless communication
is Jagdish Bose and not Marconi.
- The earliest reservoir and dam was built in Saurashtra, India during Chandragupta
Maurya's time (300 B.C)
- Chess originated in India.
- Susruta is known as the father of surgery, performing complex surgeries as many
as 2600 years ago.
This site is provided for referance purposes only.