Make your own free website on

      Anyone seeking employment in the US (citizen, permanent resident, foreign worker) must have a Social Security Number. For this reason, the Social Security card has become a standard form of identification in the US.You can go to any SS office that is convenient for you.In order to get a new card, you will need to provide documents that show your age, lawful alien status, and who you are; for example, a birth certificate, passport/visa and employment verification. You can get more information 24 hours a day by calling Social Security's toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213. You can find socialsecurity office in your area at: SSA Office Locator .

      To apply for a Social Security number and card, you need to complete Form SS-5 which is available for download at   SS-5 form   and submit evidence of your identity. These services are free.

      The office is usually open from 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday.

      When you go to the Social Security office, you need to take with you:
      1. Your passport with the I-94 stapled inside
      2.Your original I-20 Form
      3.Letter from Your Employer.

      You will also need to submit evidence of your age, identity, and U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status.
      Alien Status: SSA needs to see an unexpired document issued to you by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS), such as Form I-551, I-94, I-688B, or I-766. SSA will Not accept a receipt showing you applied for the document. If you are not authorized to work in the U.S., SSA can issue you a Social Security card if you are lawfully here and need the number for a valid nonwork reason. Your card will be marked to show you cannot work.

      All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA cannot accept photocopies of documents. SSA needs original documents or copies certified by the custodian of the record. Notarized copies are also not acceptable.

      Mail or bring the application and evidence in person to your local Social Security office. You can find that office at: SSA Office Locator  Your documents will be returned to you.

      You should receive your card within two weeks of the date SSA have all the information they need to process your request. If you have not received your card within this time frame, contact the Social Security office where you filed the application and they will investigate to see why it is being delayed.
        Social security administration issues three types of Social Security cards:

      • The card most people have shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction. SSA issues it to:
        U.S. citizens, or people lawfully admitted to the U.S. with permanent Immigration and Nationalization Service (INS) work authorization.

      • The second card bears the legend, " NOT VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT. " SSA issues it to people: from other countries lawfully admitted to the U.S. without work authorization from INS; and who need a number because of a federal law requiring a Social Security number to get a benefit or service.

      • The third card bears the legend, " VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION ." SSA issues it to people: lawfully admitted to the U.S. on a temporary basis; and with INS authorization to work


      To get a duplicate card because yours was lost or stolen, or a corrected card because you have changed your name, call or visit your local Social Security office to use this FREE service. You'll need to:

      1. Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
      2. Show evidence of your identity. If you need a corrected card, we need to see one or more documents which identify you by the old name on our records and your new name. The document showing your current identity must be of recent issuance so that we can determine your continued existence.
      3. Show evidence of your U.S. citizenship or lawful alien status if you were born outside the U.S.
      Your duplicate card will have the same name and number as your previous card. Your corrected card will have your new name and the same number as your previous card.

      Your Social Security number is used to keep a record of your earnings. Here are some things you can do to protect your earnings record and to make sure it is accurate

      • Keep your number and card in a safe place to prevent their theft
      • Check your name and Social Security number on your pay stub and W-2 form to make sure they are correct.
      • Notify Social security administration every time you change your name
      • Giving your number is voluntary even when you are asked for the number directly. If requested, you should ask:
        1. why your number is needed;
        2. how your number will be used;
        3. what happens if you refuse; and
        4. what law requires you to give your number.
        The answers to these questions can help you decide if you want to give your Social Security number. The decision is yours.
      If you think someone is misusing your SS number check out this SSA website When someone misuses your number

      Details of social security Number
      Secrets of social Security number

      This site is for informative purposes only. If you have any suggestions or comments please email me at